What you can expect at the Toronto General Hospital
Please visit UHN’s COVID-19 website for a comprehensive guide of what is happening at the hospital.
Starting from Wednesday August 19th, 2020, patients coming to our Clinic for appointments will be allowed to bring a caregiver (an “Essential Care Partner”). You do not need to ask for permission in advance to bring a caregiver.
Both the patient and the caregiver will need to undergo screening at the hospital entrance.
Entrance restrictions at the Toronto General Hospital
Our Directions page shows only the routes accessible to patients.
- The only TGH Entrances that are OPEN to patients are:
- Elizabeth St. entrance (the closest entrance to our Clinic)
- open for patients from 6:00 – 23:00
- Gerrard St. entrance
- open for dialysis patients from 6:00 – 23:00
- Entrance to the Emergency Department on Elizabeth Street
- For Emergencies only
Entering the hospital
Everyone entering the Toronto General Hospital will be screened at the entrances of the hospital. There may be line-ups.
Please note that Toronto General Hospital has a Universal Masking Policy. UHN physicians and Nurse Practitioners are the only two healthcare providers who can approve a patient face mask exemption, and must provide exempt patients with a completed Face Mask Exemption Form. Please contact our Clinic at least 1 week before your appointment if you would like a mask exemption. Even with an exemption, patients are required to wear a face shield while at UHN which will be provided at our screening entrances. They will also receive a ‘mask exemption sticker’.
Everyone who enters a UHN site will be asked to perform hand hygiene.
The number of people in elevators is limited. Please read the signs in elevator lobbies.
What we are doing at the Clinic to help you feel secure and comfortable
- A plexiglass barrier will be installed shortly at the reception area to separate staff and patients
- The names and contact information of the individuals who accompany patients will be recorded. In the event that someone indeed catches COVID-19, this information allows us to find everyone who may have been in contact.
- All patients and caregivers visiting our Clinic must wear masks.
- Medical staff at the Clinic will be wearing masks and face shields.
- Hand sanitizers and extra masks are available to patients if necessary
- The echocardiograms (“Echo”), the ECGs, and all procedures are done safely for each patient at each visit.
- Consents to treatment can be given verbally without signing papers. This minimizes the sharing of paper and pens.
Our goal is for you to feel secure and comfortable. If you have any concerns, please let our staff members know.
Our Clinic staff have been seeing some of our patients through teleconferencing (OTN, which is an easy to arrange and secure online health service in your own home). Here is more information about Virtual Visits at UHN.
Depending on the individual situation, our Clinic may be able to provide telephone appointments for non-urgent concerns. This may include prescription renewals, and new, non-urgent concerns.
If you would like to set up an appointment (teleconference/telephone/in person), please call us at (416) 340-5145 or email us at email@example.com.