Financial and Legal Considerations
Additional funding for OW and ODSP recipients
Attention to all Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) recipients:
You may now be eligible for additional funding for costs associated with COVID-19.
Please contact your caseworkers to apply.
Financial Support for Adults Who Cannot Work or Go to School
- helps social assistance participants prepare for a job, get one, and keep it.
- coaches individuals as they gain the skills to be more independent and make a living on their own.
- helps people with disabilities with financial needs pay for living expenses like food and housing.
Please make an appointment with your nearest Ontario Works office to discuss your application for either program with a counsellor.
Financial Support for Personal Growth and Independence
- Helps people with intellectual and developmental disabilities live as independently as possible in their own communities.
- Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (or their families) can apply for funding to support their personal development and growth.
- They can use the money to pay for activities to help them:
- grow personally
- participate in the community
- develop work and volunteer skills create their own life plans (this is called person-directed planning)
- reach their goals
Financial Help for Prescription Medications
- provides benefits for certain prescription drugs
- applicant must be an Ontario resident who have a valid Ontario Health Card (OHIP)
- individual's prescription drug costs is high in relation to his/her net household income
Financial Support for University and College Students
Individual schools have resources and assistance for students with disabilities. You should check with the school that you want to attend to see what they can provide to assist you and for assistance with applications.
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial program that provides financial assistance to post-secondary students in the form of a student loan.
Under OSAP, there are specific programs for students who have disabilities
- Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)
- Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE)
Financial Support for Individuals with Physical Disabilities
Individuals who have physical disabilities may need equipment or special devices to be more independent
- provides financial assistance to people with long term disabilities
- the money helps obtain basic, personalized assistive devices for activities of daily living at home.
Long term planning
Many parents who have children with special needs try to take care of them for most of their lives. However, it is recommended that parents plan ahead for the days when they can no longer care for their children.
The Guide to Securing Life-long Accommodations for Adult Children With Special Needs offers some great advice regarding caregiver selection and legal considerations. If you would like to discuss these issues, please make an appointment to see the Social Worker at the Dalglish Clinic.