22q Parent Conference Virtual Series
The 22q11.2 Family / Parent Conference is an annual family-organized event. This conference gives individuals with 22q and their families the chance to learn more about 22q and to meet other families sharing the same experiences. The 2020 Parent Conference will take the form of monthly, virtual events from November 2020 to May 2021. The theme is Mental Health Matters. Dr. Anne Bassett, our Clinic Director, is scheduled to speak on March 4th, 2021, while Lisa Palmer, our social worker, will speak on May 15th, 2021.
The first virtual event will take place on Saturday November 7th, 2020 from 9 am to 12 noon. The topics will include:
- Parenting in an Age of Anxiety - A Stress and Anxiety Toolkit for Parents
- Ann Douglas, Parenting Author & Mental Health Advocate
Academic & Social Development in 22q - Managing the Gap
- Elisabeth Saunders, Psychologist
- Overview of Mental Health & 22q
- Cheryl Cytrynbaum & Andrea Shugar, Genetic Counsellors, 22q Clinic, SickKids
For more information and to register, please visit www.22qfamilies.org.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the 22q11 Clinic at the Hospital for Sick Children will not be holding in-person transition clinics. Patients originally scheduled for the transition clinic day in April will be rescheduled for individual virtual sessions Tuesday July 28th. Patients will receive additional information about this day.
22q and ZooM!
What an AMAZING Day at the ZooM for 22q! Thank You for Joining Us and Raising Awareness!
The International 22q11.2 Foundation would like to thank all the event coordinators, co-hosts, foundations, 22q clinics and families around the world that continue to collaborate and work tirelessly to bring 22q to the forefront every day! The celebration happened because of YOU! Here are some photos. More to come, so please stay tuned. Thank you!
The 10th Anniversary of 22q at the Zoo – Worldwide Awareness Day is transformed into 22q and ZooM due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will have a live virtual feed that goes around the world for 24 hours!
7:00 PM on Saturday May 16th Toronto time which corresponds to 11 am in New Zealand on Sunday May 17th
7:00 PM on Sunday May 17th Toronto Timewhich corresponds to 1:00 pm in Hawaii
Grab your friends and family and hang out virtually from anywhere around the globe during this 24-hour period!
In addition to the local live feeds, we will have links to engaging breakout activities where participants can visit zoos and amusement parks virtually, practice drawing skills, listen to music or story time, have fun uploading photos with pretend zoo animals and photos from previous zoo days, parade around their own living rooms, watch educational webinars, sing, dance, or just be together on the most special day of the year for those affected by chromosome 22q11.2 differences, because no matter where you live, from busy cities to rural communities, you will not be alone on 22q at the Zoo – Worldwide Awareness Day!
How does it work? It’s easy – just follow these steps:
- Find your Local ZooM Event Time
- For Toronto, it’s 12 noon on Sunday May 17th
- You can JOIN ZooM anytime during the 24 hour period and meet and connect with people from across the globe
- Don’t invite anyone over but post well wishes and photos on Facebooks official 22q at the Zoo Worldwide Awareness Page
- Wear a vintage 22q at the Zoo – Worldwide Awareness T-shirt, since part of the fun is seeing how many folks can represent the 9 years of official T-shirts
- Don’t have an official T-shirt? No problem, just wear red and let’s light up Zoom
- Post the photos online here: https://dropevent.com/gallery/22qthezoo2020
- We will create a virtual slide show to share following the event as a World-Wide 22q11.2 Pick-Me-Up!
- Download your 22qandZooM profile photo and/or profile frame
If you would like to see some zoo animals virtually:
- The website for the Toronto Zoo is www.torontozoo.com.
- You can see some fun posts from the Toronto Zoo:
Peer Support Group
We invite you to join us for our upcoming Peer Support Group! This group is a chance for patients and caregivers alike to get together to discuss questions, successes and challenges.
When: Tuesday, December 10th, 2019 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Where: The Dalglish Family 22q Clinic, Toronto General Hospital, 8th Floor
We run two simultaneous groups:
- A group for parents or caregivers – an opportunity to talk to other parents and caregivers about concerns, challenges, and successes. Our interdisciplinary staff members will be in attendance.
- A group for our adult patients – a chance to meet each other, participate in some fun exercises and to discuss topical subjects supported by our staff.
PLEASE NOTE: PARENT/CAREGIVER GROUP CAN BE ATTENDED ON-LINE FROM HOME. CONTACT US FOR THE WEBLINK.
Light refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP by Thursday, December 5th, 2019 by calling 416-340-5145 or emailing the clinic at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you!!
The Dalglish Family 22q Clinic Staff
22q11.2 Parent Conference
The 22q11.2 Parent Conference will take place on Saturday, November 2nd, 2019, from 1 pm to 5 pm.
This conference will feature two speakers:
Ania Fiksinski (Graduate student at our Clinic)
Understanding IQ in 22q
Parenting Through the Storm
To find out more information and to register, please visit www.22qfamilies.org.