The City of Toronto has enacted a mandatory face mask bylaw, and some other cities or regions have similar policies. We need to wear a mask or face covering in indoor public places to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and keep each other safe.
Check out this video by Bill Nye to see how effectively face masks work. When Bill wears a mask and blows on the candle, the candle stays lit no matter how hard he blows. The air flow from his mouth mostly cannot reach the candle. Similarly, when we wear masks, it is much harder for viruses from our mouths and noses to get into the air and infect someone else. So please wear a mask. Thank you.
- World Health Organization’s video: COVID-19 explainer on masks: who should wear them, when and how
- International 22q11.2 Foundation’s infosheet: Masks: Why, When, and How
- CBC article: Masks: Everything you need to know but might be too afraid to ask
- CBC article: Do religious face coverings count as masks? Your COVID-19 questions answered
- This article also contains a video on the Do’s and Don’ts of wearing a mask
- Toronto Star article: Should I pull my mask down to my chin? An expert on what to do with your mask when eating
Originally published on July 14th, 2020 Updated on July 28th, 2020