Where can I find resources and support?

Financial resources

Question: After I turn 18, what options do I have for financial support if I cannot work or go to school?

Here are two programs that you may consider:

  • Ontario Works
    • helps social assistance participants prepare for a job, get one, and keep it.
    • coaches individuals as they gain the skills to be more independent and make a living on their own.
  • Ontario Disability Support Program
    • helps people with disabilities with financial needs pay for living expenses like food and housing.

To check eligibility criteria and application process for either OW or ODSP,

  • visit the Ontario Works website or the check out the ODSP website, or
  • make an appointment with your nearest Ontario Works office to discuss your application for either program with a counsellor.
Question: What is the Passport Program?

The Passport Program:

  • Helps people with intellectual and developmental disabilities live as independently as possible in their own communities.
  • Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (or their families) can apply for funding to support their personal development and growth.
  • They can use the money to pay for activities to help them: grow personally, participate in the community, develop work and volunteer skills create their own life plans (this is called person-directed planning), and reach their goals.
  • For more information, visit the Passport website
Question: What if I need help with paying for medications?

The Trillium Drug Program (TDP) provides benefits for certain prescription drugs:

  • criteria:
    • must be an Ontario resident who have a valid Ontario Health Card
    • individual's prescription drug costs is high in relation to his/her net household income.
  • For more information, visit the Trillium Drug Program website

[Return to top]

School assistance (University, College)

Question: What help is there if I want to go to school?

Individual schools have resources and assistance for students with disabilities. You should check with the school that you want to attend to see what they can provide to assist you and for assistance with applications.

Government financial programs:

  • OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program), which provides financial assistance to post-secondary students in the form of a student loan.

Under OSAP there are specific programs for students who have disabilities:

  • Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)
    • Up to $2000.00 per academic year to cover costs of equipment or services (tutors, braillers, technical aids) that are required for participation at school and that are not covered by any other fund.
    • Available to full and part time students as a bursary. Students must be eligible for OSAP, and the amount granted is dependent on financial need.
  • Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE)
    • Up to $8000 per academic year to cover exceptional educational-related costs.

For more information and to download the application forms, visit the OSAP site, as well as their BSWD page and CSG-PDSE page.

[Return to top]

Resources for pregnant women

The Pregnancy section of Toronto Public Health's website can answer many health-related questions for pregnant women. It also offers a FREE online prenatal program – Welcome to Parenting.

[Return to top]

Resources for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities

Question: What is Developmental Services Ontario?
Developmental Services Ontario (DSO):
  • helps adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities connect to services and supports in their communities. For example:
    • residential supports
    • caregiver respite (a break for family members who care for individuals with 22q11.2DS or other long term health issues)
    • community participation supports (like recreation, volunteering, employment, or in-home supports)
    • professional and specialized services
    • person-directed planning
    • other supports to help people with intellectual and developmental disabilities become more involved in their communities
  • nine agencies across Ontario to serve you.
  • funded by the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services.
  • for more information, visit the Developmental Services Ontario website. Search for your local office and for information about how to apply.

[Return to top]

Resources for individuals with physical disabilities

Question: What if I need equipment or special devices to help me to be more independent?
Assistive Devices Program (ADP)
  • provides financial assistance to people with long term disabilities
  • the money helps obtain basic, personalized assistive devices for activities of daily living at home.
  • for more information, visit the Assistive Devices Program website

[Return to top]

Resources for individuals with mental health conditions

Here is our Clinic's Transition factsheet on mental health.

Question: What Mental Health Resources are available?

Depending on what kind of assistance or information you need, there are many resources and organizations to assist you. These include:

  • The Mental Health Hotline
    • available by phone, chat or email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    • provides information regarding many resources.
    • Visit their website or call 1-866-531-2600
  • The Schizophrenia Society of Ontario
    • provides information and resources for individuals with schizophrenia and families.
    • Their goal is to make a positive difference in the lives of people, families and communities affected by Schizophrenia and Psychotic Illnesses
    • Visit their website
  • Toronto 211
    • a phone service connecting you to social, health, community and related government services.
    • Simply call 211 on your phone or visit their website

[Return to top]

Caregiver respite

Taking care of a family member with a disability requires lots of dedication and hard work. Often, caregivers themselves need a break to prevent burnout. Respite services lets caregivers take a short break from the routine of caring for a family member.

For more information, please visit:

[Return to top]

Long term planning

Many parents who have children with special needs try to take care of them for most of their lives. However, it is recommended that parents plan ahead for the days when they can no longer care for their children.

The Guide to Securing Life-long Accommodations for Adult Children With Special Needs offers some great advice regarding caregiver selection and legal considerations. If you would like to discuss these issues, please make an appointment to see one of the Social Workers at the Dalglish Clinic.

[Return to top]

Additional resources

[Return to top]